Because septic systems rely on microscopic organisms to break down the waste material, it is important that you don't "poison" these organisms. Even small amounts of paints, solvents, thinners, nail polish remover and other common household compounds flushed down the drain can kill the organisms that break down organic material. Laundry bleaches; toilet bowl cleaners and caustic drain openers can slow the treatment process, allowing the sewage to pass through to the leaching bed without proper treatment. However, moderate use of these materials should not interfere with the operation of the septic system. You should avoid putting anything into the septic system that doesn't breakdown naturally or anything that takes a long time to break down. Materials such as oils, grease, and fat, disposable diapers, tampons and their holders, condoms, paper towels, facial tissues, cat box litter, plastics, cigarette filters. Coffee grounds, eggshells, and other kitchen wastes, should never be put into the septic system. You should also avoid the use of in-sink garbage disposal units ("Garburators").